Thank you for a focused and productive rehearsal this evening. We worked on fewer songs, but we dug deep into 3-part harmony with Ella’s Song and Seven Wonders. Singing in three part harmony requires excellent listening, and complete confidence in singing your own part. It is also essential to know the other parts, and their relationship to your own. This is how we have approached these songs, and I know this detailed work will be paying off for you very soon!
Trivia Question: What is the most popular food in Guatemala?
Action Items for This Week
- Please study this SevenWondersSolfege excerpt from Seven Wonders – it is the same 3-part section we studied today. Sing your line in solfege, and have it memorized, in both solfege and lyrics for next week!
- Continue listening to Seven Wonders while following along in your score – what is “bracken” and what is an “anvil?”
- Listen to and study Un Lorito de Verapaz. Please be sure to study the pronunciation guide and translation in the front of your music. This is a fun Guatemalan folk song which children love to sing!
- Continue to listen to and study Tres canciones de Los Elementos(Three Songs about the Elements) See the translation below – we are starting this song next week!
Listen to the wind, blowing through the night, Breathing Peace to All
The rain is falling, falling over the earth
Fire! See the red glow. See the orange flame.
- Review your parts in Ella’s Song and please enjoy this wonderful video of Sweet Honey in the Rock singing it, as we honor the very important MLK Day on Monday.
- Please always remember that we are a family – make a big effort to know those around you! We have so many activities that allow you opportunity to chat and learn things about one another. We cannot make beautiful music if our hearts are not connected. Please walk up to someone you don’t know next week, and say hello!
Musicianship A: Please complete pages 4-6 in Book 2. For those of you who do not yet have a book, they are on their way, just please continue working from the photocopies we are giving you. Those of you who are finished with Book 2 should continue using https://www.musictheory.net/ and your completed books for study and review throughout the semester. With the help of the C Major Scale, everyone should continue singing through our new canon, “Hava Nashira” and finish writing the solfege in at home.
Musicianship Honors: Please complete pages 4-6 in Book 3. Those of you who are finished with Book 3 should continue using https://www.musictheory.net/ and your completed books for study and review throughout the semester. With the help of the C Major Scale, everyone should also sing through our new canon, come follow and finish writing in the solfege at home, if you did not complete during class.
Trivia Answer: Tamales!
Have a great weekend, and see you next Thursday!