Dear Vocalise Singers,
Thank you so much for your dedicated work in and out of rehearsal this week. It was especially lovely for me to get a chance to work with you on Monday!
News and Reminders
- Please, bring your yoga mat to every rehearsal
- Please continue to stay abreast of the memory schedule and work at home!
- Read the whole blog for notes about practice for next week.
Remember: As a member of Vocalise, you are responsible for keeping everything we have accomplished so far fresh in your voice and your mind. As you memorize, be sure you are doing so accurately. Continue to review music you have already memorized so it stays with you.
Oct. 19th Rehearsal Review and Practice Guide
Memory/Small Group Checks:
Chesnokov (solidly learned)
This was mostly quite good. Please be sure to review the following as you memorize:
- Practice with a metronome to ensure you are not slowing down at rests or breaths
- Ensure that you can move solidly between keys on pages 6 through 8
- Carefully review the rhythm in the Alliluya section–it is similar, but not the same, as the first section
Hark I Hear The Harps Eternal
Overall, quite good memory work. As you finish memorizing and continue to solidify, please review the following:
- Be sure you are practicing a half step down!
- Note dynamics and style as you practice
- Accompanying parts in each refrain (“Hallelujah, Praise the Lamb”) were sloppy, please review pitches and especially rhythms
- Entrances for the refrains from the melody need to be more securely learned.
Chantez à Dieu
We did not get to small group checks here, but clearly some work has gone into this since last week. Please continue to solidify memorization.
- Reviewed Estonian diction, text stress, and dynamics
- Worked on transition from A to B and back to A
For Next Week:
- Continue to get the words in your mouth.
- Ensure you practice with articulation and dynamics
- Reviewed Estonian diction, pitch, and rhythm
For Next Week:
- Continue to review text in rhythm and get more comfortable
‘Twas the Night Before Christmas
- Thank you Gwen and Nika for helping with the choreography!
- You can review the choreography here.
- As you review, please ensure that notes are accurate as well.
You Got Ta Move
- Worked on small places that are lacking in accuracy
For Next Week
- Memorize for next week!
- Ensure that, as you memorize, you are doing so accurately!
Next week, we’ll start “Give Us Hope.” You can listen to a recording here.