Dear Vocalise Singers,
There are only THREE more Vocalise rehearsals left (plus a dress rehearsal) until the concert! Your continued dedication and hardwork are paramount to creating a beautiful finished product. Thank you for all you have done so far, and for all you will do in the next few weeks.
News and Reminders (many this week–please read them all!!)
- Holiday Concert — spread the news! Invite your friends, teachers, family!
Did you invite someone this past week? If not, do so now!
You can buy tickets here!
- The most updated schedule for the remaining rehearsals, events and memorization is attached. Please, print it out and put in the front of the folder: Fall2015RepListVocaliseV3
- If you miss any of the rehearsals when we had memorization tests,
please, record yourself singing the piece(s) you missed and send it to Elena and Laney by mail or Dropbox/Hightail/any other service that can easily deliver sound and video files. If you know of upcoming absences, plan on sending recordings ahead of the rehearsal night. BTW, the reason for your absence doesn’t matter — this is simply the way you make it up.
- Read the entire blog for notes about practice for next week.
- In rehearsals, we will be standinging as we will on the stage:
- Vocalise SSA–in three rows
- Vocalise SATB–in four rows
Remember: As a member of Vocalise, you are responsible for keeping everything we have accomplished so far fresh in your voice and your mind. As you memorize, be sure you are doing so accurately. Continue to review music you have already memorized so it stays with you.
Nov. 9th Rehearsal Review and Practice Guide
- Rehearsed from memory
- Had a small group memory check
- Remember to connect opening phrases of the “A” section (beginning and Allelujas)
- First Altos, all of you need to ensure solid memory and make a recording. Watch the accidentals in the “B” section (starting on page 6)
For Next Week:
- Ensure solid memorization!
- Reviewed to check memory
- Remember to keep it light and moving quickly
- Reviewed tuning on big chords
- A2s– the opening melody is your section’s big solo
For Next Week:
- Memorize! Due on 11/16
- Worked on the style of performance: instrument-like, with crisp articulation and slight, quick separation between notes.
- Start with wind sound, first row continues until measure 12 while everyone else switches to singing.
- S1 and S2: at D1, “ee” is pronounced [e] as in “made” not [i] as in “need” (Here is an IPA guide for your reference.) In other words, “ee” should be different from “ii” in the next bar.
‘Twas the Night Before Christmas
- Reviewed choreography and memory
- As you practice, act! Embody the piece and embrace the genre
You Got Ta Move
- Experiment with how you can do this–facial expression, body movement, gestures, etc.
- Rehearse with metronome to ensure correct tempo, and practice in front of mirrrow.
Give Us Hope
- Please check all your notes
- Memorize for next week
For Rehearsal on 11/16
- All pieces must be memorized
- Last round of memory checks–anything is fair game
- Be prepared to run through anything from the program from beginning to end. That includes:
- Vocalise SSA:
- Hark, I Hear
- Chantez à Dieu
- Lo, How A Rose/The Rose
- Go Tell It
- You Got Ta Move
- The Most Wonderful Time
- Give Us Hope
- I Wish You Christmas
- Vocalise SSA: