Dear Vocalise Singers,
The blog this week is a bit different. Instead of a rundown of rehearsal, it is a chart that details what you will be singing at the Festival and with Maestro Escalada. Please use it as a guideline for your practice in preparation for Friday and Saturday!
Announcements and Assignments
- This Week is the Clinic with Maestro Escalada and the Festival. Your schedule is as follows:
- Friday, 4/1–Clinic with Maestro Escalada
5 to 8pm
FCC (regular rehearsal place)
- Saturday, April 2, 2016–Festival Day
Where: First United Methodist Church, Palo Alto
Uniform: Black Cantabile t-shirt, smart blue jeans, sneakers
Call Time: 10 AM
Free Concert: 2 PM
You will be done between 3:30 and 3:45pm
- Please continue to practice alignment – breath – movement sequences as Elena assigned. These practices should be 10-12 min or longer, and no less than 3 times a week.
- Moment of stillness — eyes closed, turning attention inward, reconnecting with all sensations of the body
- Slow, smooth, deep and even breath — hands on abdomen, feeling the body expand with inhale and condense with exhale
- Align the body by drawing your attention to each part of the body, beginning with feet, finishing with crown of head
- Continue with breath/movement flow exercises as practiced in rehearsal
Observe and remember your sensations and feelings at the end of session. The desirable outcome should bring
- Light, spacious, flexible body — ready for direct experience with self and the world, eager to connect and enjoy, longing to sing
- Mind curious and open, non-judgemental
- Playful, joyous, welcoming spirit
This week we spent a lot of time talking about alignment specifically. Keep it in mind during your days!
Below is the chart of all the things we are preparing for Friday and Saturday. Please take a look at each of these pieces before then and be sure you are ready to sing them this weekend with Maestro Escalada and the other choirs at the festival.
|Piece||Who is singing at concert?||What should I practice?|
|El Último Café||Vocalise (SATB)||Review and work on memory.|
|Misa Criolla (Kyrie [1:19] and Gloria [5:15] only)||Vocalise (SATB)||Review and clean up any stray notes/rhythms/words for work with Maestro Escalada|
|Libertango||Vocalise (SSA)||Be ready to sing this on Friday|
|El Pambiche Lento
And another video here.
|Vocalise (SSA) with Intermediate and Ensemble||Review and work on memory|
|Goza Mi Calipso||Vocalise (SSA) with all Choirs||Review movement (it’s in the video!). You will help the mass choir to learn the movement.|
|Pueblito, Mi Pueblo||Vocalise (SSA) with all Choirs||Review and work on memory|