Monday Prep 3 (Lori) – Class #1
Dear Monday Prep 3 Parents,
Welcome to the 2017-2018 season of Cantabile. We are thrilled to have you as part of our musical family! I thoroughly enjoyed meeting all of your young singers on Monday and am looking forward to a productive, fun semester.
- In our first class, we learned a fun welcome song, Jikeleza, and explored how to make the song end on the scale step “Do.” See if your singer can teach you the song – the only lyrics to remember are “Throw, Catch, Jikeleza (Xhosa for “turn around”)” and “na-na-na-na-etc.”
- Next we began to learn each other’s names (so important in an ensemble!) by playing the Name Game. A surprise thrown in in the middle of the game reminded us that sometimes unexpected things happen in a performance, but if we remain calm and work together, we can accomplish our goals.
- The Posture Rap helped us to find good singing posture. Have your singer review it this week:
Shoulders are down, feet firmly on the ground
With slightly bended knee.
Spine is long and ready for a song
My arms are hanging free
Lifting of the chest helps me breathe my best
Now there’s just one last thing:
Hold my head upright and focus my sight
Now I am ready to sing!
- We began to explore the major scale, recognizing that the scene in The Sound of Music where Maria teaches the Von Trapp children to sing is an actual method of teaching singing that we will use in Cantabile! The steps of the major scale in “Solfege” are:
Have your singer practice the scale this week by using the song from the musical, “Do-Re-Mi”, found on YouTube here.
- We began to get familiar with the first song in our repertoire, The Dance of the Willow, by reading through the text. Here is a lovely recording you may listen to.
- We ended our time together with a fun rhythm game. We will play many games this semester designed to develop an inner sense of steady beat and ability to execute rhythmic patterns while keeping that beat steady.
Please remember to bring your Prep 3 folder with you each week. We will be giving you instructional materials, worksheets and music to use in each class and at home for practice.
Have a wonderful weekend!