ALL SINGERS – VERY IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ:
Recitals are coming!
- Monday’s recital is scheduled for Monday, May 15th at 4:00 pm the Parish Hall. (Please note that this is a week after our last class, and that we DO NOT meet on Monday, May 8th).
- Tuesday’s recital is scheduled for Thursday, May 11th at 5:45 pm the Parish Hall.
- We will be hosting a potluck following the Recital, and we will send out sign-up sheets next week.
- Singers will need to be in full concert dress for their recital. (You can read more about full concert dress here.)
Mandatory Dress Rehearsal
- All Prep 3 singers will have a mandatory Dress Rehearsal on Thursday, May 4th at 4:30 pm at First United Methodist Church of Palo Alto (625 Hamilton Ave., Palo Alto).
- Release times will be sent out next week.
- Again, please make sure all singers are in full concert dress at the Dress Rehearsal.
All Choir Concert, We Are A Circle
- The All Choir Concert, We Are A Circle will take place on Saturday, May 6th at 1:00 pm at First United Methodist Church of Palo Alto (625 Hamilton Ave., Palo Alto).
- Singers are called at 11:30 am that morning in full concert dress.
- Make sure you buy your tickets!
In your practice this week, use these super useful tracks to help you learn your part:
- Thula Klizeo – Part 1
- Thula Klizeo – Part 2
- Fly Away Horse – Part 1
- Fly Away Horse – Part 2
- I Am – Part 1
- I Am – Part 2
- Can You Hear Me – Part 1 (Monday Prep 3 only)
- Can You Hear Me – Part 2 (Tuesday Prep 3 only)
Prep 3 Monday – Jazmine
Thank you to all of the singers who came to class this week – I know many of you were gone this week (or will be gone next week) due to Spring Break, but we had a wonderful rehearsal none the less. 🙂 We started this week with a new game called Obisana, a passing game from Africa. We students had fun seeing how fast we could play it while still keeping our “stones” moving in time.
We spent a lot of time this week working on vowels and making them tall, rich, and pure. And not only in warmups, but also applying those concepts to our repertoire. We worked on “There Has To Be A Song“, making tall “ah” vowels on words like “song”, and pure “oo” vowels on words like “too”. In addition, we reviewed the bridge to “Plant A Forrest” and again paid special attention to “ee” as in “tree” and “eh” as in “forest”. As you practice all of your pieces this week, use your hands to help you remember your vowel placement and sound.
Next we learned the sign language for “Can You Hear Me“, and reviewed the notes for Part 1 of the chorus only. Please spend some time reviewing both the music and the motions this week! We then worked on the ending for “Fly Away Horse“. As a reminder, we will be singing this at our recital in May, so I strongly encourage you to listen to the part recordings this week to help solidify your part in your ears. This is going to be a wonderful song and is coming together quite nicely!
Finally, we ended with reviewing and working on “The Secret“. I’m hoping to get part recordings out to you by next week, so stay tuned for more! In the mean time, please practice the parts that we learned this week in class, and review the timeing for the whisper sections.
I’m really excited about everything starting to come together, and I’m looking forward to our final few weeks of rehearsal together! Thank you!