Greetings, Prep 3 Families,
Thank you for another great week of rehearsals! The children are settling in to our rehearsal routine and expectations, getting to know one another, getting to know me, and we are already making great progress in developing their overall vocal tone and unified sound.
- The children enjoyed greeting each other with a new partner dance, Me and You, which also featured complex body percussion and jazzy rhythms. Each time they acquired a new partner the children had fun sharing a new piece of information about their hobbies and background.
- We went to the screen and the singers took turns leading our Hit the Slopes Vocal Explorations warm-up – the children picked new vowels each time, and loved pretending that we were skiing on such a hot day!
- The singers went to their chorus rows to work on a number of vocal warm-ups:
- Tune C on “oooh.”
- Black Socks, a fun and silly warm-up which works on phrasing, sustained breathing and vowel production, with the children selecting new colors for the socks each time.
- The children worked on solfege and singing in C major before deriving the rhythm and melody for last week’s canon,La Cloche. They then sang this in beautiful 2-part harmony.
- They worked on a new canon in e minor with movements, Hey, Ho, Nobody Home
- After this, we discovered that Hey Ho is in a minor key, and sang a minor scale in e-lah. We then discussed that minor does not always equate sad or scary, and that in particular, many celebratory songs from Israel are written in a minor key.
- Monday Prep was introduced to Minka and Candles, Candles.
- Tuesday Prep 3 was introduced to Candle of Hope and Lights of Hanukkah.
- The children also reviewed Velvet Shoes and Pat-a-Pan, which they are starting to sing in beautiful 2-part harmony!
- Listen toVelvet Shoes, Scat Cat, Pat-a-Pan Parts 1 and 2, and African Noel.
- Prep 3 Monday should listen to Minka
- Prep 3 Tuesday should listen to Zumba
- Both classes should work on their homework packets, due the week of October 2nd.
Have a lovely weekend!