Greetings, Prep 3 Families,
Thank you for another great week of rehearsing in Prep 3 Chorus! We are having fun with many Halloween songs, warm-ups and circle games, while also developing a beautiful, unified sound, and learning and reinforcing several important musical concepts. Our rehearsals will now continue to become more focused on repertoire and recital preparation, and I am excited to hear these singers bring their repertoire to performance level.
Save these Dates!
Prep 3 Winter Recital and Dress Rehearsal
Featuring Monday and Tuesday Prep 3 Classes in a Combined Formal Concert
Recital: Tuesday December 13th at 5:30 at Foothills Congregational Church, Parish Hall
(call time 5:00)
*Potluck Reception to Follow
Mandatory Dress Rehearsal for both Monday/Tuesday Prep 3: Tuesday December 6th
at 5:15 at FCC (no rehearsal on that Monday the 5th)
Attire: Prep 3 Concert Uniform! Please purchase here:
*Please stay tuned for potluck sign-up in November!
- The children improvised different Halloween words on the rhythm sticks, first in Call and Response, then simultaneously hence creating some exciting polyrhythms!
- The children worked on their rhythmic skills in 3/4 time with Rhythm Cubes!
- They derived the rhythm and solfege for a well-known folksong and dance, Great Big House, before identifying the time signature as 2/4 and writing in the missing bar-lines.
- We did a number of fun warm-ups:
- Whoopin’ Bird Chant
- Tune C
- My Dog Has Fleas
- Then the children sang the C major scale in solfege before identifying the canon Sweetly the Swan Sings. They sang this in beautiful 2-part harmony.
- We continued our solfege focus by singing a large portion of African Noel in 2-part solfege before rehearsing the piece in its entirety and adding some simple movements. The children sound great singing this one!
- Monday Prep 3 worked on key sections in Candles, Candles and Hine ma tov
- Tuesday Prep 3 worked on key sections in Lights of Hanukkah (to which we also added movements) and Candle of Hope
- Both classes ended with a rousing game of Little Sally Walker and the Israeli dance, Yesh!
- Both classes went home with a new homework packet about solfege and the major scale, due the week of November 7th
Action Items – All songs should be learned and memorized before Thanksgiving!
- Monday Prep 3 should listen to these songs, taking note of dynamics and all the challenging 2-part sections:
- Tuesday Prep 3 should listen to these songs, taking note of dynamics and all the challenging 2-part sections:
African Noel, as well as:
Lights of Hanukkah
Candle of Hope
Have a great weekend! See you next week!