ALL SINGERS – VERY IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ:
Recitals are coming!
- Tuesday’s recital is scheduled for Tuesday, May 9th at 4:15 pm the Parish Hall. You can sign up for your potluck here.
- Thursday’s recital is scheduled for Thursday, May 11th at 5:00pm the Parish Hall. You can sign up for your potluck here.
- We will be hosting a potluck following the Recital, and we will send out sign-up sheets next week.
- Singers will need to be in full concert dress for their recital. (You can read more about full concert dress here.)
Prep 2 Tuesday will have rehearsal off site on Tuesday, May 2nd, at Los Altos United Methodist Church (655 Magdalena Ave.) just down Foothill Expressway. Class still meets at it’s regular time!
Mandatory Dress Rehearsal
- All Prep 2 singers will have a mandatory Dress Rehearsal on Thursday, May 4th at 4:15 pm at First United Methodist Church of Palo Alto (625 Hamilton Ave., Palo Alto).
- Release times are listed in this week’s Scoop.
- Again, please make sure all singers are in full concert dress at the Dress Rehearsal.
All Choir Concert, We Are A Circle
- The All Choir Concert, We Are A Circle will take place on Saturday, May 6th at 1:00 pm at First United Methodist Church of Palo Alto (625 Hamilton Ave., Palo Alto).
- Singers are called at 11:30 am that morning in full concert dress.
- Make sure you buy your tickets!
Prep 2 Tuesday – Amy
We had a very small class this week due to spring break – only 4 singers! We worked really hard and had a very productive rehearsal. We started off the class learning a new canon called “Scotland’s Burning.” The singers learned to song on solfege with handsigns and also added some movements. We were able to successfully sing the canon in two parts!
After getting our voices warmed up, we started working on our performance repertoire. We reviewed “Fairest Lady” and talked about some tools for memorizing and some patterns. We also worked on watching the conductor for cues like when to hold a note longer and when to start or stop singing. We went on to practice “There has to be a song,” “We Can Plant a Forest” and “We are a circle.” Please be sure to practice at home each day to make sure you’re all memorized for our upcoming concerts! Also, please check to make sure you have all of your uniform pieces as you’ll need them in just a few weeks!
Prep 2 Thursday – Emily
Happy Spring! Our spring concert is coming right up, and I want the kids to feel comfortable and prepared when they sing on May 6. They are having trouble staying focused through the rehearsal time, and feeling a bit overwhelmed by understanding the music they are looking at. I am planning to create some handouts to make it easier to manage for next week. In the meantime, however, PLEASE have your children listen to the songs at home while looking at the music so they can begin to move towards memorization, as they will have to know the songs by heart for the concert. Here are the links to the songs:
We are a Circle–this one they know well, but need to memorize all the words
After our long and challenging rehearsal time, the children and I reviewed 6/8 time using the rhyme Pussycat, Pussycat. They then put rhythm flash cards in order for the song, which helps them get familiar with the common rhythmic patterns in 6/8 time. The children then read a mystery song on the board, which they figured out was also 6/8 time. It was Ring Around the Rosy, so we played that.
We sang Bought Me A Dog, and improvised different verses, and then we did some french song practice with J’entends le Moulin and Chocolat Chaud, which they sang as a round quite successfully this week! Go prep 2!
Thank you and have a good week!