Greetings, Prep 1 Families,
We had a lovely and productive time in Prep 1 today! As we approach our recital, the children are really learning their songs well, whilst continuing to learn and practice many musical concepts each week. I am very proud of them!
Recital Season is Coming! Please Purchase Concert Attire Here:
Please invite friends and family to Prep 1’s special recital on Thursday December 8th at 3:30 – PLEASE NOTE EARLIER TIME.
Please bring a dish to share at our potluck, taking place directly after the recital. Please sign up HERE.
- The children welcomed one another with the Spanish Greeting song and partner dance, Buenos Dias. This is a challenging dance that requires a lot of hand-eye coordination and general focus, and the children did great! They love turning and meeting a new partner!
- We made a big circle and stepped to the beat while singing Cherry Pie – each singer got to pick a new favorite pie flavor!
- The children met a new friend, Shy Guy, a puppet who comes out of his hiding place as the children sing higher and higher. They loved this activity, and I know they will look forward to seeing Shy Guy again next week.
- The children picked new favorite activities as we sang the vocal warm-up, I Love to Sing
- The children played and chanted a number of holiday rhythms on the rhythm sticks, featuring ti-ti’s, tah’s and tiri-tiri’s. They took turns rearranging the rhythm cards to create new “compositions.”
- The children then played a “mystery rhythm” comprised of tah’s and ti-ti’s on the board, and also sang it on solfege. They discovered it was one of last week’s new songs, Naughty Kitty Cat!
- We then discovered that some of the butter dish beats were empty – we asked one another what we need to write over a beat with no sound. We discovered it was a quarter note rest. The children clapped the rhythm again, incorporating the rest by opening their arms out and saying a quiet “Z.”
- The children once again did the very fun listening activity to Respighi’s Fantastic Toy Shop. The children loved pretending to be their favorite toy before falling asleep when the music stopped! It was a great opportunity to listen and identify different sections in an orchestral piece.
- We then practiced all three recital songs!
- We ended class with our familiar good-bye song, Shake Hands With Friends
- This week:In addition to going over the activities mentioned above, please continue to have your child listen to I’m Thankful, The Marvelous Toy, and this Mp3 of Sleigh Song:
Please also share the sheet music for Marvelous Toy with your child!