Greetings, Prep 2 Families!
Thank you for another fun and enriching week of music-making in Prep 2. Please read the important information below about upcoming events, and the recaps of what your child is doing in Prep 2 Class!
*Important Information About Next Week’s Rehearsal Location*
Next week’s rehearsals will NOT be at FCC. All Prep classes will take place down the road at Los Altos United Methodist Church, 655 Magdalena Ave. Room assignments are as follows:
Monday Prep 2: Room 7
Tuesday Prep 2: Room 9
Thursday Prep 2 at 3:45: Room 7
Thursday Prep 2 at 5:00: Room 7
*Concerts, Recitals, and Potlucks, OH MY!*
We are preparing for two wonderful performances – Prep 2 will be featured in Cantabile’s All-Choir Spring Concert on Saturday May 14th at 1pm (call time 11:30), with our dress rehearsal taking place on Thursday May 12th at First United Methodist Church, Palo Alto, 4:15-6:30 PM.
Prep 2 will also perform in recitals the following week (please note class-time adjustments):
Monday Prep 2 Class Recital: Monday, May 16 – 4.00-4:45 pm Sign up for the potluck here
Tuesday Prep 2 Class Recital: Tuesday, May 17th – 4.30-5.15 pm Sign up for the potluck here
Thursday Prep 2 (early) Class Recital: Thursday, May 19th – 4:30-5:15 pm Sign up for the potluck here
Thursday Prep 2 (late) Class Recital: Thursday, May 19th – 5:30-6:15 pm Sign up for the potluck here
New Cantabile singers will need uniforms for our spring recitals and concert – please order as soon as possible at Merry Mart Uniforms, as they tend to sell out of the Prep skirts fairly quickly. Singers will need to be in full Cantabile uniform at the May Spring Concert and Prep 2 Recitals. Please note that Prep 2 singers need to be wearing the red polo shirts with the Cantabile logo, and uniform black pants for boys, and skirts for girls.
Below are links to all the songs the children and singing. Please listen and review at home!
This Shall Be For Music (not Emily’s class)
Great Big Sea (not Emily’s class)
- The children warmed up their voices with the Telephone Song, and displayed so much progress in their vocal confidence and intonation.
- We welcomed one another with a really fun new partner dance, Jump Jim Joe! The kids loved singing and dancing, and finding a new partner!
- The children took turns composing a song in F-doh, which also included low ti and low so. They then played and sang a mystery song in solfege, and discovered it to be Let’s Put the Rooster in the Stew, which also features the rhythms tiri tiri and ti-tiri. They then sang the song in 2-part harmony with movements.
- We stayed in F-doh and reviewed the lively partner song, One Bottle of Pop – some of the children played a lovely bordun on the glockenspiels while the rest of the singers sang in 3-part harmony. The song also features a new note we have been working with a lot: low so!
- We then spent a lot of time reviewing our recital and concert songs. Please review all songs listed above at home!
- We celebrated next week’s Cinco de Mayo by learning the fun stick dance, Los Machetes!
- We welcomed each other with the Telephone Song!
- We worked on building the pentatonic scale with these songs: We Are Dancing in the Forest, Mouse, Mousie, and Tideo
- We had a great time dancing and singing to Dance, Josie! (which also features the note low so)
- We worked on part singing with the round Scotland’s Burning (also with low so!), and Let’s Put the Rooster in the Stew!
- We worked on 6/8 meter with the game and song Pussy Cat
- We reviewed our recital songs!
- We refined some music literacy skills by deriving the rhythm and solfege for the song Apple Tree – we then wrote it on the staff in F-doh
- We sang and danced Down the River!
- We reviewed the harmonies and movements for one of our concert songs, Kokoleoko.
- We reviewed Ratlin’ Bog, and added some fun movements – have your child review these motions with you at home!
- The children used the rhythm sticks to perform some pretty complex rhythmic patterns, including tiritiri, and ti-tiri! The kids had a great time playing the rhythms and also rearranging them into their own compositions!
- We reviewed three more songs: Great Big Sea, Come and Sing, and Give Us Hope!