Greetings, Prep 3 Families,
Thank you for a great week of rehearsing in Prep 3 – our recital is inching closer and closer and I am so proud and impressed by the work these wonderful children are doing; in a just a few months, they have developed a lovely sound and learned a number of fun and interesting songs. But let’s not get too comfy – now is the time to really practice at home and start rehearsing finite details such as dynamics, diction and expressive elements, both in class, and at home. Thank you for keeping up the hard work!
Recital Season is Coming! Please Purchase Concert Attire Here:
Save these Dates!
Prep 3 Winter Recital and Dress Rehearsal
Featuring Monday and Tuesday Prep 3 Classes in a Combined Formal Concert
Recital: Tuesday December 13th at 5:30 at Foothills Congregational Church, Parish Hall
(call time 5:00)
*Potluck Reception to Follow
Mandatory Dress Rehearsal for both Monday/Tuesday Prep 3: Tuesday December 6th
at 5:15 at FCC (no rehearsal on that Monday the 5th)
Attire: Prep 3 Concert Uniform! Please purchase here:
*Please stay tuned for potluck sign-up in November!
- The children played a fun and challenging stick-passing game from Ghana, called Obwisana. This requires excellent coordination and a strong sense of steady beat whilst singing this syncopated and highly energetic song. The kids did a great job, and had a great time!
- We played and counted out a number of complex “Thanksgiving Rhythms.”
- The children took turns leading a fun activity projected on the screen, Thanksgiving Vocal Explorations!
- We did two favorite and effective warm-ups: 1. Flee-Flay-Flah-Floh-Floo and 2. I Love to Sing – with body percussion. The children chose new activities to add to the song
- We sang the canon Hey Ho, Nobody Home with complex body percussion, and in 3-part harmony. The kids sounded lovely!
- We discussed, reviewed and sang the F major scale on solfege syllables. Different children took turns composing melodies on the scale as the class sang the pitches. We had some lovely musical creations!
- Monday Prep 3 derived the rhythm and solfege for a key section from Hine ma tov
- Tuesday Prep 3 derived the rhythm and solfege for a key section from Candle of Hope
- Monday Prep 3 also worked in detail on Candles, Candles, and Minka
- Tuesday Prep 3 also worked in detail on Lights of Hanukkah and Zumba
- Both classes learned a raucous game from African American origins: Draw Me a Bucket of Water
- Monday Prep 3 sang Telephone Song, and concluded class with African Noel
- Tuesday Prep 3 sang Telephone Song, and concluded class with Pat-a-Pan
Most of the children turned in their homework packet on the major scale and solfege. If your child still has it, encourage them to complete and turn in next week!
Action Items – All songs should be learned and memorized before Thanksgiving!
- Monday Prep 3 should listen to:
- Tuesday Prep 3 should listen to:
Lights of Hanukkah
Candle of Hope
Have a great weekend! See you next week.