Dear Vocalise Singers,
Thank you for your hard work on Monday. We covered a lot of ground, but there is still much to do. We only have three rehearsal left before your concert on May 7th. Practice is the name of the game this week. Everything must come back better than it was last week!
Announcements and Assignments
- Please continue to practice alignment – breath – movement sequences as Elena assigned. These practices should be 10-12 min or longer, and no less than 3 times a week.
- Moment of stillness — eyes closed, turning attention inward, reconnecting with all sensations of the body
- Slow, smooth, deep and even breath — hands on abdomen, feeling the body expand with inhale and condense with exhale
- Align the body by drawing your attention to each part of the body, beginning with feet, finishing with crown of head
- Continue with breath/movement flow exercises as practiced in rehearsal
Observe and remember your sensations and feelings at the end of session. The desirable outcome should bring
- Light, spacious, flexible body — ready for direct experience with self and the world, eager to connect and enjoy, longing to sing
- Mind curious and open, non-judgemental
- Playful, joyous, welcoming spirit
This week we spent a lot of time talking about alignment specifically. Keep it in mind during your days!
- Lift Thine Eyes: We reviewed this and especially spent time on dynamics and interpretation. We also sang mostly from memory.
- Bonny Wood Green: We discussed World War I, and worked on cleaning up each verse. Please review at home to be sure that the rhythms are clean and accurate.
- We also sang Ain’t No Grave and Dirait-on. These were not as well learned as they should be. Review these at home, please!
- With the men, we sang Oh My Love Is Like a Red, Red Rose and Double Shot.
- On Double Shot, all S2s should sing the Alto line, for now.
- Please review these both.
Music for Spring Concert
Please be sure you have all of this music learned, and learned well enough to sing on your own. Find new ways to practice and be independent!
El Ultimo Café
Double Shot (Sweet Honey in the Rock)
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Give Us Hope
Red, Red, Rose (you will get the music for this soon)
Come and Sing (SAB)
El Pambiche Lento (re-arranged for SAB)
Lift Thine Eyes
Bonny Wood Green
Ain’t No Grave